SIDS and Kids New Zealand
SIDS and Kids is dedicated to saving the lives of babies and children during pregnancy, birth, infancy and childhood and supporting bereaved families. We deliver on our vision through world class research; evidence based education and bereavement support; and advocacy.
SIDS and Kids provides a range of safe sleeping education and support services as well as a national 24 hour sudden infant death helpline.
- Safe Sleeping Brochure distributed free of charge to District Health Boards around New Zealand.
- Provision of bassinettes to high risk families and communities to assist in ensuring safe sleeping practices in the home or carer environment
- Regular newspaper advertorials in April and November supporting Safe Sleeping messaging
- A 24 hour bereavement support helpline which is manned by health care professionals and trained peer supporters
- Face to Face counselling for parents and siblings
- Peer support contact in the home or office for families
Our Partnership with SIDS and Kids in Australia
For a number of years SIDS and Kids New Zealand and Australia have had a close working relationship sharing information and resources around safe sleeping, bereavement and research.
During late 2013 it was decided that we would strengthen our partnership with the key outcome being that families in New Zealand would have greater access to support, safe sleeping education materials and culturally appropriate information.
The scope of the support and project includes providing resources tailored to New Zealand in the following areas:
- Development of a new website which will provide greater access to life saving information for new and expectant mothers, carers, health care professionals and families
- Sharing of safe sleeping education materials including Tummy Time, Safe Wrapping and Cot-to-Bed Safety
- The introduction of New Zealand branded smart phone applications for safe sleeping, tummy time, safe wrapping and Cot-to-Bed safety which will be available free of charge
- Make available information statements on a range of child safety topics, FAQs statement, foreign language information which includes Chinese, Arabic, Hindi and Vietnamese
- Make available Bereavement Support literature to support services and families.
In the spirit of the partnership SIDS and Kids Australia are providing this support in-kind to the SIDS and Kids New Zealand team.